Winter Reading Challenge
Suffolk Reads: #WinterRead2021
Let's show America how much Suffolk reads by reading together and building up our community through books!
From January 1st to January 31st, Suffolk Public Library will participate in Beanstack’s Fourth Annual Winter Reading Challenge. There are also prize incentives to read and log your reading!
Register or log in to Beanstack to participate and track your books read. Paper logs will be available for curbside pickup at our North Suffolk and Morgan Memorial branches for those who do not wish to log electronically.
This year, we're challenging our community to read 9,000 books during the month of January for a chance to cool prizes and an virtual visit from Simon & Schuster authors.
Participants who read and log books:
- Will be entered to win a raffle prize!
- There will be three winners, one from each age group: 0-7, 8-17, 18+.
- One entry per book read.
- Winners will select their prize from a list of items and experiences.
- This year's prizes:
- Beats Headphones
- Netflix for a year
- A mysterious escape room subscription box
Suffolk Public Library was one of the top-participating libraries the past three years in a row and we want to hold on to our title for a chance at the prize jackpot. Simon & Schuster is offering virtual visits from a diverse group of authors who come from all walks of life. Learn more about who we could meet by completing this year's activity badges or check it out at the "Books Like Us" homepage.
Help us win by:
- Registering for the Winter Reading Challenge on Beanstack.
- Encouraging your family and friends to register (they do not need a Suffolk Public Library card but would need to be able to pick up their prize from an SPL location if they win).
- Continue logging books, audiobooks and magazines throughout the month of January (Remember, if you read with your child you can log the book twice - once for you and once for them).
- Sharing your participation publicly on social media using #WinterRead2021 and #SuffolkPublicLibrary and by tagging Zoobean and Simon & Schuster in your posts. (Tip: Make sure your post is able to be viewed publicly.)
Register to participate in Suffolk Reads here. Only books logged from January 1 through January 31, 2021 will count towards the competition goal. Paper logs will be available for curbside pickup for those who do not wish to log electronically.
Elementary School and Preschool Participation
Teachers can create group accounts for their class in Beanstack or keep track of reading on the print log and return it to the library by February 3, 2021.
The Suffolk elementary class with the greatest number of books read and logged will receive:
- A live online performance by a professional storyteller, plus a gift certificate to Teachers Pay Teachers.
Preschools and daycares can participate too! The class with the greatest number of books read and logged will receive:
- A huge donation of new books delivered in person by our mascots Tux the Penguin and Ulysses the Unicorn.
Questions? Contact Matt Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-514-7161.